Wednesday, January 28, 2015

HOLYCRAP UNEXPECTED DIY

This isn't much but I found these adhesive trims in the checkout line at michaels and I recently got a new phone case because my old one went missing. I'm starting to think that self-adhesive stuff is my fucking salvation, I love using it for stuff. Anyway this was the result of my latest acquisition:


I'll show you how I did it real quick before getting back to homework:

DIY mermaid-ey cellphone case

You will need:


  1. Self- adhesive trims. I found mine in the checkout at Michael's crafts. They're out for spring so if you're a fan of pastel and sparkles, there ya go. (I also got a pack of adhesive pearls and rhinestones. They did not get used but I'll stick 'em on other shit later I'm sure.
    Heh, you can see the edge of my Little Mermaid bathrobe. That's optional
  2. A cellphone case. You can use the back of your regular phone if you'd like but I'm not that committed to ANYTHING so I like the option of removing the entire case and changing it out when I get bored. It also provides a nice solid color base. I got mine off of amazon for like 4 bucks.
  3. Craft glue or better yet, superglue. This s optional but it helps clean things up later. You can do this entire tutorial using regular trims too and just sticking them down with glue but that's messy and I'm lazy.

How you do this shit:

aka, once again: how Clara sticks things onto other things. Also, drink every time I write "scallop"

  1. Roughly measure the width of your case to the trim of your choosing. I used the scalloped lace because it sort of looked like mermaid scales. You can use any other kind of scalloped trim, I think, and you'd get a similar effect. Here I figured that the width was about 4 loops long.
  2. Cut the trim to the measurement you took. With self-adhesive stuff, it's easier to just cut the paper too.
  3. Starting from the bottom of your case, start laying down rows of trim. If you want a scale effect, stagger them so that the center of one loop has two loops meeting underneath it. Take care to layer the trim so that it's somewhat overlapping to get the really textured effect. If you don't you'll see the stripes from the trim's base and you'll lose the scaly look. Don't worry if your trim is fraying at the ends or if the loops come undone at an end. We'll take care of that in a sec. 
  4. Once you've stacked your rows of trim as high as you want them, admire your work. Then take another strip of plain trim and starting at the top corner of your scalloped trim start sealing down the loose edges of the scallops. The plain trim will make a frame around the scales, though at the bottom, I had the trim go around the base of case, not the bottom row. You'll have to stretch some of the loose ends to go under your frame but no one will notice. I promise.
    Ignore the errant pearl.
  5. Ta-da: your'e pretty much done. you can add more or less from there. I thought mine would look pretty with some extra pearls. It did not. But there you go. Be mermaid-ey and enjoy your new semi-ostentatious cellphone case.
    What kind of photos do mermaids take?

    Shell-fies.

    Don't hurt me.

I don't think there's a next time on this one because it was an unexpected post but eventually there will be a pattern review. I'm just waiting for a my petticoat to come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment