Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Gold Belle Gown

Quick Overview

Materials
Total time: Around 1 month. I took long breaks
Drinks: Crabbies alcoholic gingerale, lots of hot chocolate
Noise: Smallville, House of Hades by Rick Riordan- for the skirt, Beauty and the Beast Musical soundtrack.

Overall, this was an interesting learning experience. I've never made something that I hadn't really designed myself. I'd always wanted to make a cosplay and Belle was as good as anywhere to start. I ended up wearing it to a halloween party with some of my good friends who were also Disney princesses. The process kind of sucked at times and I didn't quite get around to finishing a few seams. All around, the dress looks great from far away and is a bit messier close-up. 


The texture difference between the bodice and the skirt is perfect. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't use a light/sheer material for the shoulders either. The gloves were sort of difficult to eat/drink with but in the end I still managed to get by. I owe so many thank-yous to my fairy god siblings who helped me through the process, in particular, Beth (dressed as Aurora, here) who I consulted probably every 10-20 minutes as I was working.

Putting on the dress for the first time was a bit of an experience in of itself. Whenever I'd dress up before I'd never really had a sense feeling like a princess, whether I was in a faire costume as nobility or even in my other halloween costumes as a kid. I think between having the control to indulge in my cosplay OCD as well as having undertaken the entire process myself, really helped. I really felt like a princess in this gown. I felt pretty and for a moment I felt a bit like I could have stolen the dress from the movie. Which is exactly what I wanted. In the end, this costume's filled me with a strange sense of pride and I'm glad my first cosplay was this.
I said it once, I'll say it again, these guys are the stupid best.


I will admit, I had a moment with one of the FGSes in which I KNEW it was her, I'd seen her process pictures, and she still scared me.

My friends are cooler than yours.


It had to be done. The original in case you've been living under a rock
Thanks to Mark, Beth and Kerianne for the photos!

Next time: something light

Happy Halloween, everyone-

The Stitchin' Bitch <3

No comments:

Post a Comment