Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Productive in a Way (The Midnight Dress Part II)

I'm considering calling the dress the Queen of the Night dress. Only because I like the idea of naming the dresses after characters from operas.

So with the bodice cut it was very simple to sew the thing together. I'd done it before. There's something very comforting about seeing all that stuff come together nicely.

As usual, I'm somewhat lacking in supplies
I have to run to my car tomorrow to get the rest of the ribbon for the channels but otherwise it's going all according to plan. I'll be trimming the point at the base as I stitch the lining to the satin. I've decided grosgrain ribbons are the best pre-made channels EVER because it just takes, so much more effort out of sewing channels. Simply topstitch. (Yaaaaay fairy god-sister advice!)

Dealing with satin

This doesn't even convey how much fabric

the bodice's pleasant simplicity was frustratingly contrasted by some skirt woes. The satin I picked was frustrating to deal with, if you stuck a pin in the wrong way, the pointy bit would grab the ONE thread in the way of it and just try to pull it out. The whole thing was a bit of a mess. I'm only slightly regretting opting for 8 yards of skirt because I have to hem that shit. Unfortunately, my sewing machine has some problems that I can't quite diagnose because I just don't have the experience to know what the hell is going on down there... So the hour of hemming looked like this (take four shots):

Shit, balls
Crap monkeys
cum dumpster
EXPLETIVE 


It's something about the bobbin. Either way, it was 8 fucking yards and I started running out of curse words.

UUUUUGH
 I'm having concerns over whether I'm going to be able to gather the skirt... unfortunately the only other option I can think of is cartridge pleating and I can't prove it's going to work. I guess we'll find out.

Next time, HOPEFULLY everything but the finishing.



No comments:

Post a Comment